Conventional beam expansion systems can only be adapted with great effort, are relatively large and only suitable for a certain wavelength. The world’s first use of an aspheric lens for beam expansion opens completely new possibilities. Spherical aberrations are corrected and an afocal system for large input beam diameters is realized. The aspheric optic reduces the system size up to 50% compared to currently available optical components on the market. The asphericon system covers a wide wavelength spectrum. Design wavelengths of 355, 532, 632 and 780 to 1064 nm. An intelligent assembly concept saves time-consuming adjustments and ensures precision and flexibility. Discover the advantages of aspherical beam expansion for your application!
Discover the world‘s first aspheric and diffraction-limited beam expander. The a|BeamExpander is a monolithic laser accessory with just one aspheric lens for the highest level of precision. Experience nearly endless possibilities with up to 32× beam magnification and optimized performance for different design wavelengths (355, 532, 632, 780, 1064 nm) - individually measured and certified. The a|BeamExpander works completely diffraction limited, both as a single element and in cascades with up to five additional coated elements. Three magnification levels are available (1.5, 1.75, 2.0), which can achieve up to 32x expansion.
- Available in five design wavelengths [355 nm / 532 nm / 632 nm / 780 nm / 1064 nm]
- Max. input aperture 10.6 – 14.7 mm, max. output aperture 22.5 mm
- Available with magnifications of 1.5 | 1.75 | 2.0
- Possibility of combining up to five expander for up to 32 times beam expansion and over 230 intermediate stages
- Completely diffraction-limited – individually measured and guaranteed by an original asphericon certificate
- Laser induced damage threshold (Coating): 12 J/cm², 100 Hz, 6 ns, 532 nm
The quality of the BeamTuning elements is guaranteed by asphericon based on a high-resolution wavefront or beam proﬁle measurement for selected components, also through certiﬁcation.
Using an a|BeamExpander at a wavelength, which differs from its design wavelength? No problem with the a|Waveλdapt. It covers the complete spectral range from 500 nm to 1600 nm, corrects wavefront deformation and adjusts divergence while retaining the beam diameter. This laser device is very flexible in usage – especially, since the overall length of the system is very short compared to conventional systems. Due to it‘s metric fine thread the a|Waveλdapt, like all BeamTuning elements, can be easily integrated into any optical system.
- Available for the four a|BeamExpander design wavelengths [532 nm / 632 nm / 780 nm / 1064 nm]
- Optimized adaptation to wavelength range from 500 nm to 1600 nm
- Compensation of divergent incoming beams up to 1 mrad
- Combinable with up to five BeamTuning elements – completely diffraction-limited
- Preservation of adjusted magnification
- Max. input aperture 22.5 mm, max. output aperture 22.5 mm
- Easy and flexible handling
The outgoing beam is either divergent or convergent, when an a|BeamExpander is used at a different wavelength than the design wavelength. Additionally, higher order wavefront aberrations occur since the asphere and the center thickness do no longer match the design intention. A suitable a|Waveλdapt can easily set these problems within its range of use and thus increases the flexibility of the a|BeamExpander. By using a 780 nm a|Waveλdapt, for example, beams with a wave length of 850 nm can be collimated by an a|BeamExpander 780 nm. The diffractionlimited performance is achieved by collimating the outgoing beam at the new wavelength.
Covered range of wavelengths for the design wavelengths [nm] 532, 632, 780, 1064 when using the corresponding a|Waveλdapt.
The a|AspheriColl, an adjustable fiber collimation device, enables the perfect connection of FC/PC patch fibers to your set-up. Combine the only off-the-shelf fiber collimator for NA's from 0.12 to 0.5 on the market with BeamTuning or other beam shaping elements to obtain any desired output beam while maintaining a diffraction-limited wavefront.
- Fiber collimator covering for NA's from 0.12 to 0.35 (f = 20 mm) and from 0.12 to 0.5 (f = 10 mm)
- Focal length f = 10 mm, with Øe= 10 mm and f = 20 mm, with Øe= 14 mm
- Optimized for wavelength range 500 nm – 1600 nm
- Easy wavelength adjustment
- Perfectly aligned lateral position
- Completely diffraction-limited performance (Strehl > 0.95) when used with FC/PC patch fibers
- Thanks to matching adapters also usable for APC fibers
- No truncation effects compared to other available fiber couplers
- Thanks to bigger output beam diameters, no additional expansion might be needed (shorter system length)
The diameter of the collimated output beam generated by an a|AspheriColl depends on the NA. This is a function of the wavelength. The basic diameter is set as shown in the graph on the left. Pre-aligned for the wavelengths [nm] 532, 632, 780 and 1064, the a|AspheriColl collimates the output of single mode ﬁbers with NA's between 0.12 and 0.275.
Covered range of wavelengths of the a|AspheriColl for the design wavelengths [nm] 532, 632, 780, 1064.
Cross-system and intra-system a|Adapters conveniently connect all BeamTuning elements to any optical set-up - without additional adjustment.
Intra-system a|Adapters allow to combine all BeamTuning elements, e.g. to use a|BeamExpander in both functional directions, to expand or reduce the beam diameter.
Easy integrate all BeamTuning elements into any optical system (e.g. Qioptiq, OWIS or Edmund Optics) through a variety of mounting concepts by using the cross- system a|Adapters (C-Mount, SM1). Thanks to its outer diameter, the 1.2" circumference can be used both as intra-system and as cross-system a|Adapter.
Compile asphericon's BeamExpansion products with MountedOptics and/or BeamShaping products flexibly for your individual application.
For a quick and easy overview, asphericon has already developed various standard combinations of the a|BeamBoxes. The “Essential” series includes five boxes for beam expansion at different wavelengths.
- Combines up to eight a|BeamExpanders with an a|AspheriColl, a|Waveλdapt and matching a|Adapters
- Optimized for wavelengths 355, 532, 632, 780 and 1064 nm
- Quality: diffraction-limited wavefront
- Multi element sets with attractive cost savings
In addition to the aspheric beam expanders (a|BeamExpander) for expanding and reducing lasers, asphericon has developed further optical modules within the BeamTuning line. The product range includes a fiber collimator for FC/PC laser patch fibers (a|AspheriColl), an element for using a|BeamExpanders outside their design wavelength (a|Waveλdapt), intra- and cross-system adapters (a|Adapters),and mounted aspherical optics (MountedOptics). Supplementary – also based on an aspheric optic – we offer beam shapers for a wide range of applications. Learn more about shaping a collimated laser beam into a Top-Hat beam and/or different focused beam profiles at the aspheric beam shaping optics site.